10.31.2011

Just A Little Faith

I told Mark I just needed more faith.  It was something that in all reality could happen, why did I doubt that God could pull through?   

As a young girl, I had learned the verse about having faith the size of a mustard seed and moving the mountain.  Where was that child like faith in this instance?



As I look up the verse again, in the Message version it reads as follows: 

"Because you're not yet taking God seriously," said Jesus. 
"The simple truth is that if you had a mere kernel of faith, a poppy seed, say, 
you would tell this mountain, 'Move!' and it would move. 
There is nothing you wouldn't be able to tackle."  
Matthew 17:20-21 Message





"Because you're not yet taking God seriously..."

I pause and wonder about these words.    These words seem strong, and yet, if I am really taking God seriously, why do wonder and doubt that something can happen?   He promises that if we ask and we believe, we will receive.


"I tell you, you can pray for anything, 
and if you believe that you’ve received it, 
it will be yours."
Mark 11:24 NLT

Mark and I talk about how we continually need to take God out of the box we so easily put him in.   He is greater than I can ever comprehend. 

Again, I find that I have to take Him out of the small box that I build and let Him be the big and awesome God that he is. 

If I lack faith, I miss out.
If I lack faith, I limit God.

And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
Matthew 13:56 NIV


In the book of Mark, a father is standing before Jesus, his son is having seizures.   

"...If you can do anything, do it. Have a heart and help us!"
Mark 9:22 Message 

In verse 23 Jesus responds: 

"If? There are no 'ifs' among believers. Anything can happen." 
Mark 9:23 Message 

I don't think Jesus is saying this just to the father of the son.   I think this is something that He is saying to me today, as I sit in my family room and ask Him if he can do something.    

The father's next words have become my prayer at times like these. 

No sooner were the words out of his (Jesus') mouth than the father cried, 
"Then I believe. Help me with my doubts!"  
Mark 9:23 Message



I believe Jesus.  I believe that you can do things I think are impossible, but in the times that I do doubt,  please help my unbelief.  With You, all things are possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment