11.02.2011

A Way to Give

In a conversation with a friend last night, she told me about a program in which you can bring your Halloween candy to certain locations and on Veteran's Day, they will gather all of the candy and send it to the soldiers fighting across seas. 

I was intrigued by this idea for a couple of reasons.  First, honestly, the amount of candy that my children acquired in an hour of trick-or-treating is a little overwhelming to me.

The other reason I liked this idea is because Mark's cousins are in the military.   One of them has just returned from duty, and the other has just left for a seven month tour.   In conversations with Mark's aunt, I have gotten a small glimpse of what life is like for a marine on the font lines and have developed a deeper sense of appreciation for what these men and women are doing for our country.

In one of my conversations with Mark's aunt, she was telling me about the things she sent in a care package for her son.   Items that we have access to 24/7, become a huge blessing to a person sitting in the hot and dry sandy climates.

I brought up the idea to the kids about sending half of their candy to the soldiers fighting for our country.   Addy, without a moments hesitation, said "Yes, I am going to do it."   E, as a normal ten year old would, hesitated and asked if I really meant half of his candy.

Addy looked at E and said, "Soldiers do a lot for our country and this is a way we can help.  Just like in the movie Mom showed me this morning."

The movie.

Yesterday I received a link to a website in an email that encourages us to give, even if just to one person, it makes a difference.   The video she watched is at this link:








Addy did not see the entire video, in fact, she saw just the last minute or so of the video, but that minute was enough to make a difference in her day, and I had no idea.  

Both kids divided out their candy last night, giving half to the cause.   While it helps cut down on the unnecessary sugar in the house, the bigger picture is that the kids gave what they could with a cheerful heart, hoping to make someone's day just a little better.

I am so lucky to have the children that I do. 









 





No comments:

Post a Comment