12.30.2011

One Word

One word as a theme.   So many to choose from, and yet, the answer was there before I even realized what the question was.   The answer, Embrace.   The challenge, to come up with one word that would be the theme of the upcoming year. 


"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, 
ordinary life-your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, 
and walking-around life-and place it before God as an offering.  
Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him."  
Romans 12:1  Message


This verse was given to me during the December devotional I was reading this month.   A gift, it gave the answer to my pondering what the new year would look like for me.   My everyday, the ordinary,  the day in and day out events of my life, that is the offering that I am to give.   I do not have to take on something bold, something new, something daring, rather enjoy what he has already brought into my life that makes it so rich already.    "Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him." 

My instinct is to always be looking for the new, the better, the interesting, the different.   Always looking ahead to the next event or goal, my challenge this year is to be fully present, to be open, to avail myself, and to accept what is already here.  

I first heard about this idea of a one word theme a couple of years ago from Chris Giovagnoni when I was a new sponsor with Compassion.   The idea intrigued me, but I had not really put anymore thought into it.   I was reminded again this year of Chris's journey with choosing one word to guide you through the year.   I am intrigued and excited to see what the new year brings with a new and different focus for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment