12.15.2011

A Christmas Carol Thought

As you know, I have been reading through the Christmas Carols devotions on You Version.   I have really enjoyed doing this through the season this year.   It has helped me to stay focused on Jesus amid the busyness of the season.    I wanted to share a reading with you from a couple of days ago because it meant so much to me and has given me a lot to think about since reading it:

The Little Drummer Boy

Come they told me, Pa rum pa pum pum
A newborn King to see, Pa rum pa pum pum


The night was silent, except for the beating of his heart. It seemed so loud to him, he wondered if his traveling companions could hear it too. He was nervous to see a king, but he kept walking, holding tightly to his drum.


His heart was about to beat out of his chest. The others were carrying beautiful boxes filled with precious gifts, gifts worthy of a king. He had nothing but his drum which suddenly seemed an inappropriate instrument to play for king, not to mention a newborn baby king. If only he had a more soothing instrument, like the harp the shepherd boys sometimes play.


His heart beat was deafening as he stood before the king. And then Mary nodded. The King's mother nodded at him.. She actually wanted him to play. He raised his sticks and began to beat out of the first pattern that came into his head, the rhythm of his beating heart.


And so the Little Drummer Boy gave his heart to God. He played his best. He gave his best.


How often do we feel our gifts are not good enough? We compare ourselves to others, wondering why their gifts seem so much more ""useful" for the kingdom. We want to teach like our Pastor, or sing like our Worship Leader. Or maybe we want to share our blessings, but at times, we don't feel very blessed. We can't give what we don't have, but rather than lamenting our lack, we need to look for our ""drum", the one thing that only we can give.


The truth is God already has teaching like the Pastor's. He already has singing like the worship leader's. And what He wants, what He can really use, is your heart.


Think of ways that you can bless others this season and in turn bless God. You don't have to spend money. You just have to give of yourself, of your heart. Just like the little Drummer Boy. And Jesus smiled at him. Think of Jesus smiling at you. Kind of makes your heart race, doesn't it? Listen.


How can you bless God by blessing others this holiday season? Are you giving your best to God? If not, how could you give your best to him today?


Romans 12:1 --  So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life-your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life-and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.

(From You Version Carols: A Christmas Devotional Day 16)

This means so much to me because I often wonder what my purpose in here.   I am a wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, piano teacher, administrative assistant, photographer, Compassion sponsor, mentor, and friend.   There are many roles in my life, but I do not know the "purpose" in my life.   I do not yet know what God has called me to do and be.    It is interesting to me as my children talk about what they want to be when they grow up, and you know what?  I still don't know.    What is my "drum"?   What is the best I can give Him?

As I take inventory of my roles and what I do each day, this is where Romans 12:1 touches me.   I can only step out in prayer and hope that from sunrise to sunset I do something to touch a life somehow, somewhere.   I hope that I know when to listen, when to love, when to help.    
















No comments:

Post a Comment