1.20.2013

Letters Have Arrived

For awhile it seemed like the letters were lost.   No, I cannot greet the postal carrier at the door each day looking for those special cream colored envelopes, but the urgency to open the mail box each day looking, searching, and yearning for communication, has not disappeared.  

The silence seemed so long, and I know with seven children, I get more letters than others, so I try not to complain.   For two months not a letter was to be found.   Then, all of a sudden, in a matter of eight days, the flood gates have been opened and we had five letters pouring in from our family around the world.  

As I sit down tonight to write letters to them, sending them pictures of the kids sledding, I am thankful for these little lives that have touched mine in such a deep way.   One wants to know when we are coming to the Philippines to visit her.  We were trying to decide where to go on vacation this summer, but that one may have to wait a year or two!   Three have received gifts, thanking us for thinking of them, supporting them, loving them.  I think they deserve the thanks as they bring so much love and joy into our home.  Our studious one writes about his studies and asks, again, for continued prayers for his studies.     

Today's sermon was about being involved, using your gifts and resources for the kingdom of God.  There are still some areas we are trying to figure out as to what that means for each of us in this family, but one thing I do know for sure, this is what we are supposed to be doing.   This is where we are being called to serve.  To love these young people who are around the world, to pray for them, to support them through letters of encouragement.   Hopefully His plans include a visit, but if not, I know that in heaven we will be together.  

As I send off seven letters of love tonight, I am thankful for the gifts and resources that God has given so that we have the opportunity to make an impact in their lives.   They have given us so much, I hope that in return, they are gaining as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment